Last night was a looooong night. Typically in the evenings I sleep from when my husband gets home until midnight, then I'm on call for the night feedings. Last night by the time I finished dinner, pumping and showering, it was 8pm by the time I got to bed. Which of course started a horrible cycle of, "if I fall asleep now, I can get 4 hours of sleep. If I fall asleep now, I can get 3.5 hours", etc etc.
Midnight hits before I know it. I wake up, feed the little man, pump again. (My husband had already fed the lady. Something about the overnight, it's like they've never seen a boob before, so we stick with bottles for those feeds) Back to bed a little after 1.
2:10am The Lady is up. Demanding to be fed. I prep a bottle, she takes an ounce. One single ounce, and she's out cold. So I put her back to sleep, and since I'm up, I wake up her brother to feed him. To his credit, he eats 2 ounces.
3:11am She's up again. I tried seeing if she just needed some comforting, but no, she was hungry. So I feed her. Another ounce, and she's out again. So I lie her back down (they still sleep in our room), and attempt to go back to sleep.
3:38am Wide awake and screaming. Her diaper is dry, I tried burping her, nothing. We walk around the house for a while, and as long as we're moving, she's fine, but the second I stop, she's screaming again. I attempt to nurse her, and she eats for about 10 minutes. Falls asleep, but once again, as soon as I move her, she's up and howling. At this point it's now 4:30. I've given up on the bedroom, figuring there's no sense for me and my husband to both be awake. So she and I go downstairs and just sack out on the couch. She FINALLY falls asleep.
6am Aaaaand they're both awake.
7am Despite my attempts to convince him to call out and stay home, my husband leaves for work. So now it's just me and the babies for the next 11 hours and counting.
I don't mean to bitch. I know this is typical newborn behavior. I was spoiled, though, last week they'd actually sleep for about 4-5 hour stretches at night so I was able to get some decent rest. They haven't really done this up all night business since they were still in the NICU. Exhausted as I am, I'm not complaining, I swear. For years I wished to be up all night with a crying baby, instead getting a full nights' sleep only to wake up to another negative test. I just didn't realize how tired I'd be. Let's hope this was just a bad night and not a new pattern setting in.
Ooof -hang in there. Stella randomly did that for two nights in a row last week too and it's rough, but then she was back to sleeping for about 4 hour stretches. I hope your kiddos are back to better sleep schedules soon!
ReplyDelete