I still can't get into a groove with this blogging thing. I am always having a running commentary in my head, thinking how I need to write all these things down, but put a computer in front of me, and my brain turns to mashed potatoes.
Babies had their 2 month appt on Friday. R (my girl) weighed 8 lbs 12 oz, and C weighed 9 lbs 2 oz. Not bad considering they were barely 5 lbs at birth!
I had a cold about a week and a half ago, and since that started my supply is way down. I've been drinking lots of fluid, eating oatmeal, I did the Reg.lan protocol, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. When I would pump at midnight, I used to get anywhere minimum 12-14 oz, that one pump session would be enough for all the bottle feeds for the next day. Last night I got 5. I was so irritated that I spent a half hour and only got 5 oz! I do have a decent freezer stash - around 200 bags, each with 4-8 oz of milk, but I know once we break into that it'll deplete quickly. The babies have been on a combo of breast milk and formula since their NICU days, so by giving them both hopefully I'll be able to continue giving them some breast milk for a longer period. Not how I pictured things, though. I had hoped to exclusively breastfeed for at least 6 months, but if my supply doesn't pick up soon, this will be coming to an end soon. I know some people have had luck with Fen.ugre.ek, but my doctor specifically told me not to take it, because herbs aren't regulated like meds, and honestly, that was something I wasn't totally comfortable with anyway.
We finally moved the babies into the nursery this week! And we have real smiles!
This was not a good week, diet wise. I need to start requesting that people not bring over junk food. It's hard, though, if someone is nice enough to bring us dinner, giving me a night off from cooking, I feel rude being picky about what they bring. And if they show up with blueberry pie (a HUGE pregnancy craving), my willpower is completely shot. I hate throwing food away, too. I hadn't allowed myself to buy new clothes since the babies were born, because I wanted to have that motivation to lose the weight, but I finally caved this weekend. I just need to get out of yoga pants, and at 2 months post partum I wanted to cry everytime I pulled on maternity jeans. But ladies, I had to buy a size 10. I've never been this large. I'm comfortable in a 4, I'll allow myself to go up to a 6, but I've never been in double digits before and I hate it.
I don't want to end this on a negative note. We're going to Disney next January! I have never been a Disney fan, but I am so, so excited to take the babies it's not even funny. They'll be just over a year, so we won't be able to do a ton with them, but my sister is getting married there, and if we're going, why not make a trip out of it. I'm already researching traveling/Disney with toddlers!
Hm...not sure what to tell you about the milk supply. Everyone I know who had issues said the lots of water + fenugreek was the key to getting it back (or doing a few days of marathon pumping sessions). Check out Kelly Mom for ideas - http://kellymom.com/
ReplyDeleteI don't think you should feel bad asking for healthier dishes. People are probably assuming you want comfort food, but if you tell them that you're trying really hard to eat nutritious, healthy food because it's best for you and your breastmilk for the babies, I think people will break out their healthier recipes without complaint!
Dude, you're normally a 4?? That is tiny tiny lady. How tall are you??
I'm 5'5", so my body is pretty happy at a 6, I can usually stay that size - or at least I could, prepregnancy - without a lot of effort. I personally prefer being a 4, because I know I'm eating well and exercising enough at that size.
DeleteI'll check out Kelly Mom in the morning and see if there's any helpful tips there. I'm already pumping 5-6 times a day, 30 minutes a pop, but I probably could be better about the water. I have swapped out one bottle a day for a second coffee, because holy hell, these kids are busy, but I know the caffeine probably isn't helping.
I mentioned to my mom tonight that I really need to start eating better. She's really good about spreading the word to people, so I'm betting there'll be something other than casseroles in our future.